Last updated:
2018-07-20, 09:43 AM
Changelog
Changelog White Background
The changelog contains more information about recently added features and fixes/tweaks!
If hidden this panel will appear when there's been a new update. It will then hide itself again on the next reload.
Visual Options
Show replies
Show hidden comments
Select Language: Help with translating!
Hide/Show
Railcraft Boiler Fuel Calculator
Railcraft Boiler Fuel Calculator Comments
Bug? Praise? Hate? Tip? Suggestion? Request?
Doesn't matter! Anything is welcome with the following caveats:
Non-constructive comments may be hidden (can click above to show hidden comments).
Spam will be removed. Repeat offenders may be IP-banned. Bans currently last 24 hours.
When a new comment is posted Forecaster will automatically receive an email!
If you are reporting a bug, please include the url to the page where you found it! That will make it a lot easier for me to fix it and confirm that it is fixed!

If you use the comment panel the url of the current page will be included automatically!
Submit new comment:
Category: General | Bug | Suggestion | Question |
Your email address will not be displayed or otherwise publicly available to anyone.
Anti-spam measure: What is the name of the creator of Railcraft?
Category Filter:
General | Bug | Not A Bug | Squished Bug | Suggestion | Rejected | Completed | Question |
#1 - Submitted on 2013-08-20, 12:08 AM as General by Forecaster
Woo! Comment system finally done! Please submit comments, questions, bugs, suggestions etc. here!
#44 - Submitted on 2013-08-28, 11:08 PM as General by Forecaster
Comments should now be parsed properly to account for odd character sets.

Previously symbols that didn't match UTF-8 would cause an empty string to be printed.

Now such symbols should be substituted with compatible ones.

And an error is now displayed as well if it tries to print an empty string.

Hopefully this will prevent any more issues.
#45 - Submitted on 2013-09-02, 07:09 PM as General by 5291de06
I got it right!
1 reply by Forecaster | View Replies
#49 - Submitted on 2013-09-07, 04:09 PM as General by 471ca8f5
Awsome calculator!

Thanks!
1 reply by Forecaster | View Replies
#52 - Submitted on 2013-09-08, 07:09 PM as General by ceca4c14
love this web app. thank you for maintaining it. i have a 4 boiler (3x3x4) build with a treefarm good to know i wolt run out of coal.
1 reply by Forecaster | View Replies
#59 - Submitted on 2013-09-14, 09:09 AM in response to #56 by Forecaster
Fixed comment submitting!
#78 - Submitted on 2013-09-28, 04:09 PM as General by 5fd5e1ce
I love your anti-bot measure. <3
1 reply by Forecaster | View Replies
#82 - Submitted on 2013-09-28, 11:09 PM as General by e9ccb26b
Thanks for the calculator! I was wondering if my coal coke production plant could keep up with a 36LP boiler and it can!
#88 - Submitted on 2013-10-04, 12:10 PM as General by 325dd8e6
Biofuel does not seem to be an option in fuel simulation mode
1 reply by Forecaster | View Replies
#125 - Submitted on 2013-11-29, 10:11 AM in response to #124 by Forecaster
Fixed. Once and for all I hope.
#127 - Submitted on 2013-12-10, 07:12 PM in response to #126 by Forecaster
Actively working on it.

Will be done within this week probably.

Therese changes have required an overhaul of some things which has taken a lot of time. Plus I need to work in options for custom fuel values and the steam modifier which are no longer locked to defaults. This will require interface changes which will take some more time.
But hopefully this week.
#128 - Submitted on 2013-12-13, 10:12 AM in response to #126 by Forecaster
Update complete!
#130 - Submitted on 2013-12-13, 09:12 PM in response to #129 by Forecaster
"Pestering" would be writing 20 comments saying the same thing, no worries.

I will have a look at those things.
#131 - Submitted on 2013-12-13, 10:12 PM in response to #129 by Forecaster
Fixed the mentioned issues. Not sure about the Time Simulation values being too high. All the modes use the same functions for calculating the fuel usage, steam production and heat increase/decrease. If one is wrong they're most likely all wrong, unless I missed a variable somewhere, which is a possibility, but I didn't find any during the fix spree just now.
1 reply by 72400f5b | View Replies
#132 - Submitted on 2013-12-14, 02:12 AM in response to #131 by 72400f5b
All seems fine now, fits right in with my own measurements. No more standing in front of boilers with a stopwatch for measuring their hourly consumption rate :) Thanks for your efforts!
#133 - Submitted on 2013-12-15, 04:12 PM as General by 9d25c371
This is a very handy calculator. Thank you so much for taking the time to put this site together.
1 reply by Forecaster | View Replies
#134 - Submitted on 2013-12-15, 05:12 PM in response to #133 by Forecaster
You are most welcome! Now that it's updated I should make a video about it to help people who are having trouble navigating all the features.
#136 - Submitted on 2013-12-17, 11:12 AM in response to #135 by Forecaster
Not a lot I can do unless you show me your math.

The calculator has been shown to be pretty accurate, but there could of course be an error somewhere since I've stirred quite a bit in the functions with the 8.3 update.

You're barely giving me any information to work of off.
#148 - Submitted on 2013-12-27, 11:12 AM in response to #140 by Forecaster
I will take a look soon.
#150 - Submitted on 2014-03-06, 01:03 PM in response to #149 by Forecaster
I would like some numbers that support why this is wrong, or some tests in-game that show that the calculator is wrong.

And I don't know what you mean by "it also doesn't match what Fuel Simulation mode calculates."
#152 - Submitted on 2014-04-14, 09:04 PM in response to #151 by Forecaster
Ah, that's probably because the function that formats the time output is broken somehow...
#153 - Submitted on 2014-04-14, 10:04 PM in response to #151 by Forecaster
Fixed. It was indeed due to me forgetting to update the functions to use the new localization system.
#154 - Submitted on 2014-04-16, 07:04 AM as General by a041d1c5
Version 8.3, 36 HP boiler, 1 day, charcoal. Heatup skipped: 44712 units used. Starting cold: 44430. Something is clearly wrong here.
#156 - Submitted on 2014-08-26, 02:08 PM as General by 8606264d
Just to say that you're application is amazing and was really useful thank you!
#158 - Submitted on 2014-11-27, 12:11 AM in response to #157 by Forecaster
I don't know if Forestry allows changing the fuel values of it's fuels. I don't know what my git links have to do with it either.

You can however use the Minetweaker 3 mod to change the fuel value of modded items (you can't change vanilla fuels because they are hardcoded).
#160 - Submitted on 2015-01-07, 08:01 PM in response to #159 by Forecaster
#162 - Submitted on 2015-02-06, 11:02 AM in response to #161 by Forecaster
You can figure that out yourself by finding out the production rate of the coke oven and comparing it to the calculator output for charcoal usage.

It's not within the scope of the calculator to include fuel production of any kind. Not even those included in Railcraft.
#164 - Submitted on 2015-03-21, 06:03 PM in response to #163 by Forecaster
Not sure, I'll have to investigate after I've upgraded the fuel data system.
2 replies by Forecaster & 0c8d8afa | View Replies
#165 - Submitted on 2015-03-22, 01:03 PM in response to #164 by 0c8d8afa
Will this issue be resolved? I found a comment (#140) from 2013 mentioning this same problem. You said it would be fixed soon. Should I just turn on my boiler or will it be fixed in the very near future?
1 reply by Forecaster | View Replies
#166 - Submitted on 2015-03-22, 04:03 PM in response to #165 by Forecaster
In the referenced comment I say "I will take a look soon.", not that it would be fixed soon. However I most likely thought I'd fixed it (and probably forgot to mark the bug-report as squished).

It will be resolved this time. I know for a fact that the modes use exactly the same functions, which are almost straight ports from Railcraft code. This issue is likely somewhere in the mode specific code since it causes different modes to give different values. It's just a matter of combing through the boiler code and tracking down the issue.

Unfortunately right now I also need to re-install my computer to sort out some issues. This may cause some delays, but I should have things sorted soon and hopefully have this bug found and squished within the next few days!
#167 - Submitted on 2015-03-24, 01:03 PM in response to #163 by Forecaster
Ah, right. This didn't occur to me.

That fuel-list uses the old boiler system. It's been ages since I last touched those parts of the code...

I also have no frame of reference for what the values should be for those versions.

I can't really do anything about this right now. I'd first have to re-install my computer so Minecraft will work again, then get an old version of railcraft and get reference values out of a boiler. Then debug old code in the calculator using the reference values.
#168 - Submitted on 2015-04-19, 12:04 AM in response to #163 by Forecaster
So I finally got around to taking a look at some of the issues, and it turns out that the fuel function for version 1 (RC 8.2 and prior) was way off. There was a line missing at the end that was supposed to multiply the result by the number of tanks before returning it. This has now been fixed.

I also found a line in Fuel Simulation mode that forced it to always use version 2 of the fuel function, which is what caused heatup mode and fuel sim to show different heatup costs when you were using fuel list 8.2 or lower. Sorry about that.
1 reply by 956b211b | View Replies
#169 - Submitted on 2015-04-19, 12:04 AM in response to #149 by Forecaster
I just fixed some issues that caused the fuel mode to possibly display different results from the other two if you were using the 8.2 fuel list or lower.

These issues have been fixed, you should try again and see if your problems are still there.

If they are do write a new bug report for me! I'm going to mark this as squished.
#170 - Submitted on 2015-04-19, 12:04 AM in response to #140 by Forecaster
As it turns out both were wrong in their own ways!

The fuel function for fuel list 8.2 and prior was supposed to multiply the result by the number of tanks before returning it, but that line was missing which resulted in way too low fuel use.

And the fuel simulation mode had a line that forced it to always use the new fuel calculation regardless of which fuel list you used.

Both of these have been fixed.
#172 - Submitted on 2015-11-16, 08:11 AM in response to #171 by Forecaster
Fixed! They should accept decimals again (using a period as the separator)!
#174 - Submitted on 2016-02-24, 11:02 PM in response to #173 by Forecaster
Ah, but what if I meant it as in "letting the heat loose", Hm?

But no, you are correct, and it's been fixed!
#175 - Submitted on 2016-02-25, 10:02 AM as General by 18ba34d4
Doesn't work well on mobile or smaller monitors, as the sidebars overlap the center. Maybe specify a minimum width, as scrolling left/right would be better than overlapping.
1 reply by Forecaster | View Replies
#176 - Submitted on 2016-02-25, 03:02 PM in response to #175 by Forecaster
They do. This website wasn't designed with that in mind at all. But you can just hide the panels and they wont be in the way anymore. Then it's at least usable.

Eventually I would like to rebuild the calculator from scratch.
#177 - Submitted on 2016-03-06, 04:03 PM as General by 1e4b90b1
Do you have contact with CovertJaguar? If you do please can you ask him if he could make steam and creosote oil compatible with Mekanism pipes and tubes? Thanks.(I really appreciate your website, really helped with my ship design)
1 reply by Forecaster | View Replies
#178 - Submitted on 2016-03-06, 08:03 PM in response to #177 by Forecaster
Railcraft's fluids are registered with the Forge fluid system. It's the owner of the pipe's job to ensure that forge fluids work properly with their pipes.
#179 - Submitted on 2016-05-04, 06:05 PM as General by a686b95b
Cool Calculator
1 reply by Forecaster | View Replies
#180 - Submitted on 2016-05-04, 11:05 PM in response to #179 by Forecaster
Thanks! It could do with an overhaul (rewrite) though. It's quite old.
#181 - Submitted on 2016-05-30, 12:05 AM as General by 7ae718bc
that's a really usefull tool. i enjoy it very much.
only way i can think of to improve it further would be to display a performance curve and add an easy-to-use way to compare multiple setups (and their curves)
1 reply by Forecaster | View Replies
#182 - Submitted on 2016-06-07, 10:06 AM in response to #181 by Forecaster
I looked at adding graphing at one point, but I wasn't able to find a nice simple way to do it that worked right. At this point I don't really want to expand this thing any more. Rather I'd like to re-write it completely. It could use a much nicer interface, and support for running multiple simulations at once just to name a few things. It might happen at some point, but right now I'm too busy with other things.
#184 - Submitted on 2016-08-05, 12:08 AM as General by faa141f0
Hey Ty for writing this calculator you are great now i can setup my factory without wasting resources
#185 - Submitted on 2017-02-11, 04:02 PM in response to #168 by 956b211b
Thank you! Greatly appreciated! :)

Eastar1
Page: -1- 2
This calculator will tell you how much fuel of a certain type is needed to heat up a cold boiler to it's maximum temperature (Heatup Only), or tell you how long it will run with the given fuel (Fuel Simulation) or finally tell you how much fuel is required to keep the boiler running a set time (Time Simulation).
A few noteworthy things:
This calculator was written by Forecaster for the Minecraft mod Railcraft by CovertJaguar, based on formulas provided by the author.
The formula for calculating fuel usage can be found on the Railcraft Wiki.
Times are directly converted from ticks, this unless your server/client always run at peak tickrate (unlikely) times will vary slightly.
Fules values are kept up to date with the latest public Railcraft release. (Fuels from other mods are kept up to date as best I can.)
If you have a question, an issue or a feature suggestion (such as a specific fuel) you can post a comment and I will reply!